surgery can be an empowering choice and a great way to boost your confidence and self-esteem. Surgery always carries risk, though, and is not something to be treated lightly. Before you commit to any surgical procedure, there are some important questions you’ll want to ask your cosmetic surgeon.
- First, be certain that the surgeon is right for you. The first thing to determine is whether or not the surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, because in the United States, any licensed physician can perform a cosmetic procedure, even without training in cosmetic surgery. The only way to make sure your surgery will be performed by a qualified doctor is to choose a surgeon who is board certified. Once you’ve established that qualification, talk about how much experience the surgeon has in the particular procedure you’re considering. You want to be certain that the surgeon you choose is proficient in the work you want to have done. Ask:
- Do you have a board-certification from the American Board of Surgery?
- How many years of training have you had in the field of surgery?
- Do you have hospital privileges? If so, at which hospitals?
- How many of this kind of procedure have you performed?
- Talk about the extent of the procedure and how much time you’ll need to recover. Before you commit to going under the knife, get a clear picture of how long you’ll be out of commission. Ask:
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- What is involved in this surgery?
- What are the risks and complications of this surgery, and how are they handled?
- When will I be able to go home, and will I need help?
- What’s the recovery time, and when will I be able to go back to work?
- When can I resume normal activities, or begin to be physically active again?
- Make sure you understand the cost. Cosmetic surgery can be expensive, and it’s better to know as much as you can about the expense ahead of time. Ask:
- What will the total cost of my procedure be?
- What kind of financing do you offer?
At the Aesthetic Surgery Institute, our team wants to help you reach your aesthetic goals and feel good about yourself. Located in the financial heart of Houston, Galleria, we offer a variety of surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures that enhance the face and body to bring out a person’s true beauty. Our surgeons are board certified, and your interests and safety are their top priority, so call us today at 713-493- 7397 and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.