A tummy tuck, formally known as abdominoplasty, is a popular cosmetic procedure. Tummy tucks tighten muscles and remove loose skin and fat from the abdomen so it looks more toned and flat. Some people consider tummy tucks as being “mommy makeovers” because the surgical procedure lets women get back to their pre-pregnancy figures.
Abdominoplasty is also commonly used for patients who have lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time.
Tummy tucks are becoming increasingly more popular because of their benefits. They not only provide cosmetic benefits, but there are also medical benefits associated with tummy tucks.
What Are the Cosmetic Benefits of a Tummy Tuck?
- Improved Abdominal Tone – Many women lose their abdominal tone after going through pregnancy. Others find that after losing a significant amount of weight, their skin and muscles become distended and traditional diets and exercise don’t help. Tummy tuck surgery tightens weak stomach muscles, removes excess skin from significant weight loss, and flattens your abs.
- No More Love Handles – When a tummy tuck is focused on the stomach and waist areas, the result is the dramatic reduction or complete elimination of unwanted love handles.
- A Better-Looking Body – When skin is tightened and pulled, your waistline is more defined and your belly is flatter and firmer. This gives you a more youthful and athletic appearance.
- Brings Your Look Together – If you’ve had other cosmetic procedures like a breast lift, tummy tuck procedures can be a great option for polishing your new look.
What Are the Medical Benefits of a Tummy Tuck?
- Treats Stress Urinary Incontinence – This bladder problem is accompanied by uncontrollable leakage after sneezing, coughing, laughing, or exercising. Some women develop SUI after giving birth. SUI can often be treated without surgery, but tummy tucks have been found to be useful for patients who did not have a caesarian section.
- Improved Posture – If you have weak abdominal muscles, you may have a condition called lordosis or swayback. Tummy tucks often improve posture significantly, as muscles that support the spine are tightened. Back pain is often relieved after this procedure.
- Ventral Hernia Correction – Ventral hernias occur when the abdominal tissue or intestine breaks through the abdominal wall. Causes often include massive weight loss or certain surgeries like appendectomies or C-sections. If you develop a ventral hernia, you have a high chance for the condition recurring. A tummy tuck can strengthen your abdominal wall to prevent these hernias from happening.
- Fewer Fungal and Yeast Infections – Skin flaps and folds can create the ideal environment for fungus and yeast to thrive. Tummy tucks tighten the skin and remove these flaps and folds.
- Reduced Blood Pressure and Cholesterol – With a healthy diet, exercise, and lifestyle, a tummy tuck can help you achieve your ideal weight, which reduces blood pressure. The removal of excess fat has also been shown to increase beneficial high-density lipoproteins (HDL), and lower the LDLs, or low-density lipoproteins that can clog arteries.
- Lower Stroke, Heart Disease and Diabetes Risk – The increased pressure of a large abdomen on major organs can cause damage over time. As well, the larger the abdomen, the larger the number of LDL-containing fat cells, which increase risk for developing the above diseases.
- Reduces Spider and Varicose Veins – A larger abdomen can also place pressure on leg veins, causing spider and varicose veins. A tummy tuck relieves this pressure.
- Lower Dementia and Alzheimer’s Risk – Studies have shown that those with larger abdomens are at increased risk for developing Alzheimer’s and dementia. Tummy tucks reduce abdomen size and disease risk.
Other Reasons for a Tummy Tuck
Many who undergo a tummy tuck do so because they want to increase their self-confidence. Others enjoy the motivation their new body gives them to be healthier and the increased stamina they enjoy when engaging in intense exercise.
Professional Cosmetic Surgery in Houston’s Financial Heart
Have you been considering all of the cosmetic and health benefits of a tummy tuck? The Aesthetic Surgery Institute performs tummy tucks, liposuction, facelifts, and much more.
Our website contains more information about our double-board-certified cosmetic surgeon, procedures, and FAQs. You can also book a free consultation online, or by calling (713) 892-5476 to speak with one of our cosmetic surgery specialists.